Monday, January 7, 2013

Quick Edit 13



What a way to start off a new year. So Friday after work, we all met up to head out to Raleigh, NC for the Oak City Box Jam, upon arrival, we meet the spine broken Thomas Martin only to find out that he is not only healed but that he is skating again, which I'm extremely excited about, welcome back homie. So after some beers and catching up we hit the sack and got ready for the coming day.

Saturday proved to be quite awesome, it started out with a trip to Marsh Creek Skatepark where we met up with a couple locals and the infamous Chris LaPenta...or Barboza, whichever one will keep me out of harm's way...and we got this quick edit together:


After the Marsh Creek session we headed over to Oak City which, for those of you who don't know, is a new blade shop in Raleigh, NC and its pretty impressive. The store front is small but the owner Long Tonthat is a rad dude and loves getting people to walk out with blade gear further, Long told us to pass along, if you can beat him in a game of skate on the awesome box setups they have in the back, he'll discount your order by 20%, so that's definitely some incentive to hit the place up. Most importantly though, support local business and order from your hometown blade shop, they are in short supply and it takes a lot of love and gonads to run one.

Anywho, the comp brought out about 50 people and about 22 of them competed including yours truly. The turnout, structuring and execution of the comp was all quite impressive and ran very smoothly. The biggest shock though, for the first time in the 12 years of my blading career, I won my first ever contest. The truth of it is that I robbed Jon Cooley of $100 with a sweet tap dancing/life saving maneuver that admittedly was completely unintentional and probably shouldn't have counted. Outside of that, I think my key to winning was my homoerotic dancing and general handsomeness, not the actual skating, but fuck it I won, I rule and I'm retiring as the greatest.

All in all, a very successful weekend and a lot of fun. I saw some good friends and made some good new ones and hopefully the rest of 2013 will continue to be just as awesome.

No comments: